Sunday, January 27, 2008

Obama suppressing Latino vote in Florida?

Hillary Clinton has taken a bold move and has pushed for the recognition of Florida delegates:

"I hear all the time from people in Florida and Michigan that they want their voices heard in selecting the Democratic nominee.

"I believe our nominee will need the enthusiastic support of Democrats in these states to win the general election, and so I will ask my Democratic convention delegates to support seating the delegations from Florida and Michigan. I know not all of my delegates will do so and I fully respect that decision. But I hope to be President of all 50 states and U.S. territories, and that we have all 50 states represented and counted at the Democratic convention.

"I hope my fellow potential nominees will join me in this.

"I will of course be following the no-campaigning pledge that I signed, and expect others will as well."

The Obama camp has circulated a memo to try to make it seem like Hillary Clinton has plans to break the promise and campaign for votes in Florida. Of course this lie and smear is based on nothing but the fertile imagination of the Obama camp. Ever the hypocrites the Obama camp has already aired ads in Florida which many think broke the campaign promise the three candidates made.

It is the opinion of this Latino voter that the only reason the Obama camp is going to such lengths is to suppress the Latino vote in Florida. Clearly the objection the Obama camp has to seating the delegates from Florida stems from the win that Latinos gave to Hillary in Nevada and the popularity and support Hillary Clinton has among Latinos. We know the Obama camp is dismissive of Latino voters. We know that surrogates for Senator Obama ran a racist radio ad in Nevada that accused Senator Clinton of not respecting Latinos. When Senator Clinton and John Edwards called on Senator Obama to denounce the racist radio ads and ask for them to be removed Senator Obama remained silent.

When I learned of the racist radio ads playing in Nevada I lost a lot of respect for Senator Obama and he lost my vote. I can't in good conscious vote for someone who time and time again allowed for the race card to be used on his behalf. I find his suppression of the Latino vote in Florida to be par for the course and despicable. If he continues to ignore the rights of Latinos in Florida to have their voices heard and their votes recognized I wouldn't be surprised. But one thing if for certain: when the primary is over and if he is the nominee I may find it very hard to get out of bed and head to the polls on election day. He's made it very obvious that my vote and the vote of my people doesn't matter to him.

No comments: