Monday, January 28, 2008

Open Letter To Sen. Ted Kennedy

Dear Senator Kennedy,

Yesterday I heard of your plans to endorse Senator Obama over Senator Clinton in the Democratic Primary. While I firmly respect your right to choose one candidate over another I have to say that I am deeply disappointed in your decision. I've always had a deep respect for you and your family because of the issues that you have taken a stand on. Many of the issues and rights you and your family have fought for have positively affected the quality of my life.

You all have always been a friend of the Latino community so it troubles me to see you have decided to support Senator Obama over Senator Clinton. I'm particularly troubled by your decision because of what I saw occur during the Nevada caucus. In Nevada the pro-Obama group, UNITE HERE, ran Spanish radio ads that tried to paint Senator Clinton as disrespectful of the Latino community. Both Senator Clinton and John Edwards called on Senator Obama to renounce the ads and asked they be taken off the air. The radio ads were beyond insensitive-I'd say they were downright racist, but Senator Obama allowed his surrogates to inject racism in Nevada and I can't condone or reward his silence.

Believing you a friend of the Latino community it puzzles me that you'd reward the dangerous and vile sentiments the radio ads could have created among Latinos against Senator Clinton. As a resident of IL I have always felt that I was invisible to Senator Obama. I've never experienced any efforts from Senator Obama to reach out to my community until it was too late and seemed to be politically beneficial. Dolores Huerta said in Nevada that during all of her years of being an activist and visiting Chicago she never once met Senator Obama. I expect to be ignored by Republicans but I've never felt such a dismissive attitude towards my issues from a Democrat, like I have from Senator Obama.

I live and vote in IL so I can't threaten you with the loss of my vote like I can a local politician. But greater than my vote you've lost a lot of my respect, I thought you understood my community better and what we needed. In a time of economic uncertainty we need a leader like Senator Clinton to put us back on the right path. Hope and dreams and promises don't pay the bills.

Regards,
Latino Voter
Chicago, IL


on the web.

1 comment:

irate said...

as an african american i am so sick and tired of illegal immigrants demanding amnesty because they wipe up shit...

first of all to compare the struggle of illegal immigrants to the proud people of the civil rights movement is so insulting for to me it is like saying i know what it is like for a rape victim without ever having been raped.

furthermore illegals aren't shedding blood for their basic human rights (not saying that they should) they way black people and some white people did for the simple task of black people being recognized as citizens in their own country....

illegals can buy houses, get education (may not go to college but yo have the opportunity, many black people didn't), buy cars, sit at the front of the bus, lunch counters etc...all because of what black americans sacrificed....

how dare you people make a mockery of what my ancestors went through...

illegals are doing the jobs "that black and white people don't want to do" because they are stupid enough to get paid low wages and work in crap conditions....don't blame my country, blame corporate america's outsourcing policy....

key word here people is ILLEGAL...so common sense dictates that you should be sent back to your own country....there are hundreds of haitians who are sitting in the prison at guantanomo bay in addition to florida to be be shipped back yet i dont see mexicans who are rallying for amnesty doing the same thing on their behalf...is it because the are not mexican....thought you people were fighting for all illegal immigrants (i guess you people are racists too)

if you want freedom and opportunty
go back to your own country and fight for it it...rid yourselves of your corrupt as leaders so you can live and prosper in your own country